about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

project // quilted fall warm pads

Fall Warm Pads


In cooler seasons, my family likes to eat a lot of soup. And leftovers. Although, leftovers know no season. For casual meals, folks sometimes grab a plate or bowl and, rather than sit down at the table, we'll sit near the fireplace. Since dishes can get very warm, you'll often see a hot pad held under the dish. Which is fine. I'm good with all of this.

But why not make those hot pads pretty and matching?

This project solved two problems for me. The first is the pretty factor. The second is that I've been wanting to try out making some quilt blocks without a giant project commitment. Fall warm pads took care of these!

I'm calling them warm pads because they only have one layer of batting inside, and I really, really don't want you to remove things from the oven with them. But they are perfect for a layer of protection between your chicken noodle soup bowl and your hand.

Supplies:

Fabric (scraps plus 6-1/2" square for the back)
Batting (6-1/2" square)
Perle cotton
Sewing tools: Scissors, pins, sewing machine, iron, needle, thread, rotary cutter, mat and ruler.

You can use any 6-inch finished block (6-1/2" when it's just the block) for the front. I'm using a combination of maples and some other designs, but I'm doing them all in the same grouping of fabrics. Here's how the maple block goes together:

maple quilt block

From Fabric A (squirrels) cut:

2 3-1/4" squares
2 2-1/2" squares

From Fabric B (burgundy) cut:

2 3-1/4" squares
3 2-1/2" squares
1 4-1/2" x 1-1/4" rectangle

maple quilt block

Make the larger squares into four half-square triangles and trim them to 2-1/2".

Trim one of the Fabric A small squares into two triangles. Sew them onto the sides of the Fabric B rectangle as shown. Trim to a 2-1/2" square.

maple quilt block
maple quilt block
maple quilt block



Arrange the pieces to form a maple leaf, sew the rows, then sew the rows together. Ta-da!

By the way, I've used 1/4" seams throughout, and if you're new to this patchwork thing, be sure to check out my review of the free Craftsy class Piece, Patch, Quilt!

Fall Warm Pads

Grab your 6-1/2" squares of backing fabric and batting. Layer them with the front and back right sides together, and the batting on top. At least, this is the way my sewing machine does the best. You may find that having the batting on the bottom of the stack is better.

Fall Warm Pads

Pin and sew around the edges, leaving an opening for turning. And be sure to back stitch at the beginning and end. Trim the corners before you turn it right side out.

Fall Warm Pads

After you've turned it right side out and made sure those corners are poked out nicely, sew the opening closed with ladder stitch.

Fall Warm Pads

To hold it all together and add some fun detail, thread a needle with perle cotton and knot the end. To hide the knot, I like to go in through the seam, making sure that I'm not catching any fabric. Then you can gently tug the knot into the middle of the warm pad.

Fall Warm Pads
Fall Warm Pads

Stitch some quilty lines of running stitch, then be sure to bury the knot(s) between the layers.

Fall Warm Pads
Fall Warm Pads

Then make a bunch for your whole family or friends when they come over! I've got maples all over the place and I might even end up making more.

Fall Warm Pads

The best part is using these. So, get a bowl...

Fall Warm Pads

And fill it with something warm and yummy!

11 comments:

  1. I use the orphan blocks from a quilt that I have auditioned different quilting motifs. I bind the and have them around for this use as well as others. Gives me a reminder of quilts that I have given away! But matching ones would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathi5:10 PM

    We do this too!! But not just for warm bowls, cold ones, too! Ice cream... :) Love the "warm pads" name... I made some hot pads for the first time a bit ago, and one was too long, so I cut it in half, and these have been used the most for bowls... now they will have a proper name! And I will need to make some more... Christmas idea lightbulb glowing! Thanks a million for another practical and perfect idea, Mollie! Happy Almost Autumn to you and your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:44 PM

    I see, you share your recipe for hot pads, but not for chicken soup. Hrumpf.

    We eat homemade soup frequently also. :-) That bowl-full looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a recipe once. These days it's just chicken broth, chicken, vegetables, noodles, pepper. Cook it. And it is yummy!

      Delete
  4. Mmm, this looks just like the recipe that Mom found in a magazine many years ago. I love this soup. I should make it soon.
    I'm just getting into quilting...your 50 States project has stirred the desire. I love the idea of using quilt blocks for small projects like this. Once again, thanks for the inspiration you regularly dish out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to make these! My husband works from home and a lot of times he eats his lunch at his desk in his office. This would be a fantastic way for him to transport how bowls upstairs!
    And I am so excited about soup weather, I've already started adding it to my meal rotation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look like so much fun to make. Thanks for the tutorial. BTW, soup looks yummy too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being in Canada I love your "warm" pad maple leaf pattern!! I shall have to make some using your block :)
    Thank you for the great tutorial and the yummy picture of your soup!! Both are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice designs, I like them. Though being a guy, my grandmother got me into quilting when I visited her over the summer. Surprisingly I really like it and I still do it today. I'll mention this idea to her and it can be our next project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We use 10 inch squares for our plates.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I make 10 inch squares to use with our dinner plates.

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!